Friday, April 1, 2011

fooling around

If I had to make a list of Days To Look Forward To in a year, today would not be one of them. April Fools’ Day has never been high on a list of mine when it comes to things to be excited about. It's not that I can't take a joke, because, believe me, I can and I have. Growing up with my dad and being married to my husband has made me overly prepared for any joke that might come my way. But what I don't like about April Fools’ Day is exactly what the day has turned into being about...being made to look like a fool. While certain jokes may be good for a laugh, I'm not really down with any day that has me walking on egg shells, carefully opening doors and drawers and second guessing any news I may hear – it just makes me too tense!
My dad’s line of work seems to lend itself well to pranks and practical jokes. Removing the last few pages of someone’s book or filling shoes with shaving cream are often to be expected even on days other than April Fools’. Several years ago, my dad was on the receiving end of a ‘bleach in your shampoo’ prank, which saw him go from a dark brunette into an interesting orange inspired blonde. Good thing he has a sense of humour…and short hair! And while I will not-so-humbly admit that I have a pretty good sense of humor, I don't think I'm the perfect person to confide in if you’re playing pranks on people. Besides the fact that participating in pranks isn’t really my thing, keeping a straight face throughout is much harder than it may seem for me. I'll give you two point five seconds of a ‘yes, I am telling the truth’ look before the corners of my mouth begin to creep up into my cheeks and you can rest assured that I'm about to blow the cover on a carefully crafted trick.

I like a good laugh as much as the next person but if it's at the expense of others, I have a hard time getting on board. So if you want to be funny, try not to be mean, and whatever you do today, put a smile on your face and be ready for any fun foolishness that might come your way.

Are you a practical joker? Ever been on the receiving end of a good prank?

14 comments:

Tara said...

I've had people try to prank me but I'm very skeptical so it usually doesn't succeed :)

My (now) husband and I pulled a late April Fool's joke on our friends in 2009...we were in Vegas the weekend after April Fool's day and we signed into Facebook and changed our relationship status to "married" and our page statuses to something like "out celebrating in Vegas" or something like that...it was surprising how many people fell for it considering we'd only been dating about 7 months!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I can't take a joke, at all! However, 3 years ago today I told Bryan I was pregnant.. and I wasn't joking. lol Probably not the nicest way to relay the news.

kimbirdy said...

i've done some good practical jokes in my younger years, although never for april fool's. i learned it from my dad, who was also a great prankster. although, if he did the pranks from his youth today, he might be arrested. for instance, once in high school, he hot wired a crane, drove it to the principal's house, picked up the principal's vw beetle, and put it on the roof of the school. he then put the crane back at the construction site as if nothing had happened. the next morning the news teams showed up at school to interview the principal about it, which meant the principal had to play it cool. it was apparently wicked awesome. :)

Anna @ IHOD said...

Oh wow, that is soo crazy! I would be walking on eggshells too! I am a terrible joker....can't keep a straight face:)
Luckily my husband can't either or I would be nervous. I am so gullible though!
Enjoy your weekend!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I'm always a little high strung (thanks, East Coast upbringing!) at least compared to my San Francisco co-workers and friends, and I'm just relieved no one has made me the brunt of a practical joke! I'm terrible at them!

jenn from midlife modern said...

I couldn't pull a prank to save my life. I get the giggles and it's over.

I'm curious...what is your dad's line of work that makes him particularly good at pulling pranks?

christine donee said...

Unfortunately I can be pretty gullible. sigh...

xoxo
Christine
www.aquietdetermination.blogspot.com

Signe said...

Oh dear, I would cry if someone put bleach in my shampoo!
But your gags totally made my day :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

The mean jokes are never cool. I usually don't pull pranks for April Fools.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Usually I'm not much of a practical joker but only because I have a terrible poker fake.

Kaylia Payne said...

I love April Fools Day! But probably only because I have never had anyone play a mean joke me me..yet..knowing my brother it won't be long!

Diana Mieczan said...

I love April Fools day as Balazs and I do those little funny jokes. Nothing over the board. We usually go with something like changing the time on all the clocks or using food colouring to make milk blue:) Happy Monday, darling

Tiffany Kadani said...

I am sooo not a practical joker but I really love people who are. It's very endearing to me.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I'm so with u. And WOW your Dad does have a great sense of humor! Not sure how I would've done with that :)