Thursday, May 5, 2011

mucho fun tonight

As someone who loves an excuse to celebrate and has a slight (okay, it’s huge…) obsession with Mexican food, Cinco de Mayo seems like the perfect holiday for a girl like me. But for some reason, it’s not something that I’ve ever put much thought into or really found myself remembering to celebrate. I’m going to blame it on the fact that I live in Canada and it’s not as widely recognized as it is by my neighbours to the south but it’s definitely a day that I think deserves some serious attention.

Can we please just talk about how good Mexican food is for a second? Flavourful spices and colourful veggies…corn, chilies, cilantro, oh my! Just thinking about it makes me wish I had a big, fat burrito in front of me which is why it shouldn’t be a surprise that Mexican food has been my favourite food since I can remember and, to this day, still tops the list. When I was in university, living off oatmeal, tuna sandwiches, apples and cheese, I never made my meals my priority – I ate healthy but I didn’t seem to enjoy putting any effort into making myself much of a meal. However, the second I had people over for dinner, I was all about good grub and Mexican was my go-to. Fajitas or burritos for one never seemed worth the effort but add an extra person or two to the dinner table and my menu was always Mexican. It got to the point where my husband, my best friend at the time, would reply with “Let me guess, taco salad?” any time I would invite him over for dinner. He was usually right which meant I had to start changing things up to be less predictable…it also meant I had to find different friends to invite over for dinner so I could get my Mexican fix. Even now, when asked what I want for dinner, tacos or nachos are almost always the first thing that pops into my head. Some may call it a problem, I call it delicious.
Tacos, anyone?

Are you a fan of Mexican food? What’s your favourite type of food?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheese enchiladas are my weakness. As I sit in my office nursing a migraine, I'm wishing with all the brain cells still functioning that I was at home with a margarita instead.

Traveling Distances said...

I love Mexican food- quesadillas, tacos, nachos, burritos, enchiladas, etc- I love them all! I should start celebrating Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to drink magaritas and other Mexican food.

Tara said...

I love me some enchiladas. Mainly because of the sauce that they are slathered in ;)

Talia said...

You have just made me so incredibly hungry for Mexican food!! I agree, it's the best food out there! I LOVE it.

Happy Cinco de Mayo! :)

kimbirdy said...

i've never liked mexican food, which is especially weird for someone living in california! every once in a while i get a craving for it, but mostly, you can count on me to wrinkle up my nose at the suggestion. last year i discovered that i'm allergic to corn {and all corn products}. i still eat plenty of it, but it became an easy excuse to tell people i can't eat mexican food without gasps and horrified looks. :) however, thai or indian food? i could eat that stuff all day every day. mmm!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I lose my mind for Mexican, but I'm also a rabid fan of Indian, Japanese, Thai...anything, it seems!

Kaylia Payne said...

Mexican food is my absolute favourite! My husband and I always go to this amazing Mexican restaurant for our anniversaries.
Nothing beats nachos or a good burrito :)

k said...

but taco salad is sooooooo good!!

Anna said...

Wow! Those drinks look amazing! I love cinco de mayo except for the crowds! Next year I am having a cinco de mayo party at my house!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I'm so jonesin for Mexican right now! :)

stephiejane said...

i am totally a sucker for some delicious mexican food!! and there is certainly no shortage of that here :) though my favorite kind of food would first be cajun and then italian. what can i say? i love seafood and carbs. in that order.

Brissa said...

i LOVE mexican food. my dad makes some of the best guacamole in the entire world. aahhhhh sooo good.