Wednesday, June 2, 2010

let's give them something to talk about

In a world with so many creative people and a multitude of events happening around the globe at the same time, why is it that the only thing we can often think of to talk about is the weather?

It often frustrates me that when riding in the elevator with my colleagues or meeting someone new at a party, all I can think of is to make a comment about how nice it's been the last few days or why I can't wait for the rain to stop. I don't think I'm an overly interesting person but at least more interesting than the dark storm cloud forming over the conversation I am having. I know the weather is one thing that we all have in common. Whether we like it or we hate it, we all have to deal with it. But is there really nothing else out there? Are there no other small talk topics that aren't too political or controversial?



Do you think meteorologists get tired of being asked about the weather? I wanted to be a meteorologist when I was younger just so I could stand in front of the green screen. Then I realized that you actually had to know and understand the weather. I didn't want to be the one responsible for inaccurately predicting a tornado so I quickly found something new to aspire towards. A study by Forbes.com found that seven out of 33 5-year-olds say they want to be superheros when they grow up, making it the single most popular career choice for kindergartners. Not a bad career in my opinion. At least it's not a desk job!


What's the most interesting thing you've heard lately? I'd love to hear it and share it with others. I'd love to give the world something to talk about other than the weather.

No comments: