Wednesday, February 2, 2011

reaching for the stars

A new year is supposed to mean a new you, right? Eating healthy, getting rid of bad habits, becoming a better friend…all great goals for the start of a brand new year. But now that we have officially fallen into February, chances are that those oh-so-healthy New Year’s resolutions didn't quite make their way into the new month with you. If you’re like most who made a commitment to change, chances are that you may not have reached your goal.
I've never been into resolutions. I think they are great for other people and if they inspire you to make a change for the better in your life, if only for a month, than I wish you long lasting success. They're just not for me. As my husband so cleverly pointed out, I'm better at evolutions and not resolutions. Making changes throughout the year, however big or small, tends to increase my chances of bettering myself. Giving up sugar for one month can be quite easy and often longer lasting than 30 days...but committing to cut back on my candy consumption starting January 1st would probably have seen me sneaking sweets the first week in.
I feel like my only resolution, if it could be called that, is somewhat backwards. My husband and I tend to swear off the gym for the month of January, knowing it will be full of eager exercisers looking to keep up with their resolutions and drop those holiday pounds. It was pretty evident last night as we made our way to the gym, finding only a couple cardio machines in use, compared to a couple weeks ago when finding an open machine proved to be the only challenging activity available. It may sound like I think I have nothing to work on but trust me, I do. Throughout the year, I can guarantee you I will come up with a handful of habits that I could do without or a list of new things to learn. But I know myself enough to know that if I truly want to commit to something, setting small goals for myself is the way to go. I'll evolve, learn a lot and make it to the end of the year as a better person without feeling like a failure because I couldn’t keep up with my New Year’s resolution. A new year does mean a new me…but it just won't happen overnight.

Have you stayed committed to your resolutions? Any advice for reaching your goals?

13 comments:

Jessica said...

I've been pretty good on keeping my resolutions this new year, hope I can keep it up!

Diana Mieczan said...

I agree, for me its all about the small changes I make each day that will in the end let me get to my goal:) Have a fantastic day, darling
Kisses

Ps: I am hosting Paloma’s Nest GIVEAWAY today:).Just in time for Valentine’s Day!

k said...

That is hilarious about the gym! I'm with you though, I know I'm not going to stick to resolutions so I don't take them seriously. I'll voice some that way I keep aware of them, but..I do what I do in the end!

Amber said...

I usually don't make resolutions either, but this year I did, and so far I'm on my way to achieving them. They're not resolutions that will really be complete for evaluation until the end of the year, so I guess we'll see!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I can't tell you how much I like this-I've never been one for resolutions, either. I think it's important to make the changes you want every day, whether or not it's the start of a new year, and that big resolutions inevitably fall apart in just weeks!

Lily Riani said...

i agree with you...am trying to lose the pounds since hemm.... forever

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Some years I make them and some I don't. The times I've stuck with them are when I write them down and check my list once a week. The one I kept best was having people over for dinner once a month. Once a month is fairly easy to keep.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My only resolution is to continue knocking things off my 101 in 1001 list. So far... I haven't done anything. Oops!

Anna @ IHOD said...

I agree with you...resolutions don't happen over night...I like to refer to mine as intentions or goals:)
That candy shop....wow...could spend all day there!

shopgirl said...

Totally am the same about resolutions! I'm a one day type of person...gotta be when you're living in a foreign country. Unfortunately, it conflicts with my quasi type A personality.

Love the candy photo!

Look forward to reading more posts!
Rambles with Reese

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I totally agree! Its kinda funny and sad all the same. I hate how packed the gym gets in January.

Dee Paulino said...

I used to be a big fan of making resolutions until last new years. My resolution was to make no resolutions, to work on self-growth on a regular basis without expecting the magical overnight change. I did make goals like traveling more this year and that I have been achieving successfully. I haven't gone anywhere yet but I have two trips booked, one to the Caribbean in May and the other to San Francisco next month.

Claire Kiefer said...

I didn't really make any concrete resolutions this year, but I did decide to devote the year to "productivity." I know it's kinda vague, but it works better for me to have a word/idea to focus on than to have concrete resolutions that I'll be sure to break. I've been really good about healthy eating, though exercise is a little harder given my busy schedule. I'm giving it my best, though!