Friday, March 11, 2011

something old, something new

Moving into a new house brings a lot of new things. A new place to put your clothes, a new way to get to work, a new room to wake up in. So many things can change when a big life event happens and no matter how prepared you can be for the unknown, it's still just that - the unknown. These last couple weeks, the first in my new home, I've found myself having to learn the lay of the land all over again. Things that became second nature are now things that I am second guessing...like where we keep the cutting board or which key locks which door. I've even had to wonder were my husband is sometimes now that we've gone from one bedroom and one floor to three bedrooms and three floors! It may not be the normal I am used to but it's my new normal. A normal I have to get used to. And that is what is exciting and scary about change at the same time. Whether it's a new job, a new town or a new school, there are going to be new faces or places or things to learn. And learning that different doesn't have to be bad is all part of the process. A new kitchen means a chance to get better organized. A new bedroom means more space to make my own. A new neighborhood means new friends to be made. A new normal might be a scary thing but embracing the change and accepting that new might mean new and improved makes change a lot less challenging. I know I'm going to miss all the little things I loved about my old place..but with a new place comes the chance to make new memories and discover more of those little things to fall in love with. So Mr. New Normal, I'm ready for you...are you ready for me?

How do you handle change? What's new in your life right now?

21 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I love change but my husband and daughter do not so I'm usually helping them with it when it happens :)
We finished remodelling our house almost 3 years ago and I still get confused about which light switches work what.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Good for you on the move!! I just moved into my first place and ohh its glorious!! I never had a closet now I have 3!! =) hehe. It takes me a while to really have change sink in but when it does I'm really happy!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's great though! You'll get into a routine soon!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I used to be afraid of change.. but after my move to Texas I realize that it forces you to grow as a person, and now I'm all for it. Congrats on the new house!

There's not much "new" in my world right now.. just getting ready to enjoy my spring break week. Enjoy your weekend!

PoetessWug said...

How exciting!! I remember that feeling of moving into a new place. We just did it here too, last Fall. It kind of takes a little time to figure out the lay of the land, but pretty soon your new normal will be the only normal you remember!! :-)) I'm not moving anywhere else new...if I can help it, I mean! But I have moved into new crochet designs. Also exciting! ^_^

kimbirdy said...

i love change {mostly when i get to make the decision for things to change, of course}. :) there's something about having that variety of live, the newness, the surprises - i love it all! still, saying goodbye to whatever has to end in order for the new to begin can be tough. i always have a little goodbye ritual so i can have honorable closure, then i allow myself a bit of grief mixed in with the thrill of change. it's all such a great part of life. i'm glad you get to have some of this exciting sort of change, and i hope you have a blast exploring the newness!

Starlight said...

I'm sure you'll adjust to the new house and the new life in no time. When the change is to the better is not that hard...

Dirt On The Rocks said...

Goodluck with getting yourself settled in. I definitely get the feeling of being scared and excited at the same time.

A Crimson Kiss said...

I couldn't have put it better myself-I still don't know what all our keys do! It's frustrating, and I miss the familiarity of our old place, but it's exciting to make a new house feel like ours!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Anna @ IHOD said...

YAY!! How exciting! A new home to make your own!

You Are My Fave said...

We're searching for a house right now and I love it. I want to be doing cartwheels in a new house very soon.

Dee Paulino said...

change is always so refreshing. I am desperate for it. I have been attending to the same school for five years and the same job for 5 yrs as well. I have been daydream about quitting my job & transferring school & selling my car & moving to NY but then reality kicks in and reminds me I have to wait until after graduation on December...

ps: I love those big windows

Natasha and Jesse said...

Congrats on the house. Sometimes I handle change perfectly fine, sometimes I don't. A new diagnosis from my doctor is what's new and I'm not handling the change so well this time.

Maria said...

i like these pictures! congrats on the house

http://design-elements-blog.com/

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I am not a big fan of change, it makes me nervous!

Anonymous said...

aw! haha.. i love the pictures!♥

changes.... oh, it's normal. changes will never stop if i hate it today. :)

Signe said...

I like change! Makes me feel like I am alive and moving on!
We are moving in 11 weeks to a whole different part of the country so that will be a big change, but we are really looking forward to it :)

Hugs and a happy Sunday to you in your new home!

k said...

I loved this! You are wise :) The biggest change I can think of lately was moving here, and that was over a year ago! but...we are still making it normal - not quite there yet :)
and thanks so much for your input on the balance post, it was so good to read and I appreciated it. I def. think about life pre-blogging also, but I guess the benefits outweigh the negatives! thanks for being so awesome, I do always love reading your posts and value your opinions as well because you are also genuine!

OneCraftyFox said...

Congrats on the new home!! I know exactly what you mean, lol. Hunny and I are on the hunt for a new home as well, we will be second-time buyers.

Luvin' the giant windows!!

designchic said...

So exciting...love your new place!!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

We are getting ready to move into a new home as well, one that we are custom building so I can relate to you with the whole change thing. Here's to a smooth transition for you and lots of new friends :)