Friday, August 27, 2010

playing with dirt

As an aspiring artist and a lover of all things creative, I am often in awe of some the amazing ways individuals choose to express their creative talents. Some make accessories, some draw portraits, some take photographs…but there are many non-traditional ways to make art that often don’t get as much appreciation or attention and I think it’s because they are just that – non-traditional.
This dirty car art fits into that last category. No, I don’t think I would display this in or around my house but it has definitely struck me as not only creative but also so cleverly well done. I am truly in awe of the work done by artist Scott Wade who breaks out his brushes to gently remove sand and reveal realistic and beautiful images on the windows of dirty cars. The closest to art I’ve come on windows in need of a wash is a smiley face next to the words ‘clean me!’. It never really crossed my mind that someone could look at a dirty car the same way I do at a blank canvas. To think that a masterpiece could be created (and destroyed in moments!) on an object that I wouldn’t normally classify as art is such an interesting concept.
But that’s what I love about art…that it can come in the most unusual forms or by seemingly unconventional practices and still demand respect for it’s beauty, difficulty, or just because it’s something that the artist thought of in an interesting way. In my own artistic endeavors, I often get caught up in the rules of what’s accepted or what looks beautiful but then become hypocritical because I believe art doesn’t have to have rules. If you look out your car window and think, it’s so dirty, I’ve got to get it cleaned, it doesn’t mean someone else won’t look out theirs and think, it’s so dirty, I’ve got to get my paint brush. I love that creativity comes in all forms. I love that, in my opinion, art can be defined differently by everyone and can never be defined wrong.

What interesting artists have you come across lately? Would you call Scott Wade’s creations ‘art’?

{Photos via here and here where you can find his whole gallery}

22 comments:

OneCraftyFox said...

This is very cool and very unconventional art!!

The Gallery Gal said...

Very Cool! Art can really be found anywhere you just need to be open to finding it. Thanks for sharing!

Holly Knitlightly said...

AMAZING! Imagine being able to do that? Haha geez I can't even draw that well! g

Valerie said...

These are absolutely jaw dropping. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in the pictures, but they're incredible! Very inspirational for those of us (aka me) who are challenged in the artistic dept.

Have a great weekend!

xo
Valerie

Tiffany Kadani said...

This is the most amazing thing! I can't believe it's real!

Brandi said...

For a minute, I had no idea what it was. Maybe a bowl, I thought. Then I kept reading and looked a bit closer -- it's amazing! I can't believe someone took all the time to create art in dirt. A few months ago, I came across an artist who was creating art by cleaning graffiti and dirty walls. People are really so wonderfully innovative.

iheartkiwi said...

oh my goodness these are amazing! there are so many creative people out there.

i actually love graffiti, i think it can be so beautiful in the right setting.

a little black cloud in a dress said...

haha, amazing!

jenn from midlife modern said...

That is bananas! I can't believe someone looked at dirt and thought to himself, "There it is! My canvas!" You must have to let a long time pass without washing the car to let that much accumulate, I imagine...

Signe said...

These are amazing! But I can’t believe someone put all that time and effort in and then it's all going to have to wash away! Such a short-lived art form...

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh wow that's crazy! Like Singe said, I can't believe someone would put so much time into something so short lived. However, it's the same as people doing chalk drawings or building things in the sand. Very cool.

Molly Page said...

I would definitely consider that "art". They are gorgeous. I think I've just found a reason NOT to wash my car... I'll just tell the hubby I'm waiting for Scott Wade to create a masterpiece!

k said...

that is insane! and gorgeous!

Meghan said...

So beautiful! I love when artists find inspiration in the most unique places!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

A different kind of art, but art for sure! I love it.

Teresa Tran said...

wow tgaht is absolutely amazing! thanks for sharing !

Traveling Distances said...

This is art! I love how unusual this is- it's amazing!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh wow I am completely blown away!!! This is fantastic!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is incredible:) Wow...I love it:)
Happy Monday,sweetie

Elle Sees said...

i've seen this! i heard he was from atlanta?

Miranda said...

That is so cool, what creativity, I wish I had that talent!
http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

ag. said...

It definitely took me a while to wrap my head around it...it really is amazing to see something so beautiful that could be gone so quickly!