Friday, August 20, 2010

read it: deception point

Books and the summer seem to go hand in hand. Whether it’s on a blanket in the park or a warm evening on my balcony, I love to have several good summer reads to bury my nose in. We know I’m no movie critic and I’m definitely no literary critic but having just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown and found it to be a page turner perfect for getting lost in on a summer’s day, I thought it appropriate to give it a review…even if it is almost 10 years old. (Okay, so I’m a little behind!)

I have to give Mr. Brown credit. For a book that contained so many scientific facts and political jargon, two topics I am not well versed in, I was able to easily follow along with the dramatic developments and make sense of the thrilling twists and turns. And although I may not have understood all the detailed data, which does take up quite a bit of the book, I understood the plot and learned quite a bit along the way. Dan Brown has a way about his writing that certainly keeps the reader engaged. In Deception Point, he develops both several likeable and hateful characters and it’s hard not to wonder what will become of them. However, I did find that a lot of the events, including dramatic escapes and split-second decisions, seemed pretty far fetched and in a book based so much on scientific specifics, it seemed odd to second-guess the reality of the story. It is definitely a novel that will keep you guessing - not only about how it will end, but also how it’s all possible. While not my favourite book I’ve read this summer, I’d say it’s worth a read, especially if you like simple thrillers that are easy to speed through.

What books have you read this summer? Are you a Dan Brown fan?

3 comments:

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

I loved the Da Vinci code!
I read these book this spring/summer:
http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/search/label/Books

I just started Lolita... Happy Weekend!
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com

Anna said...

I have never read Dan Brown before but I want to. With school, I don't have much time to read for fun but I am looking forward to doing that again soon!:) I will add this one to my book list!

christine, just bella said...

Read this. loved it. Dan Brown books are definitely page turners, not the kind of book I want to read all the time, but fun to throw into the mix! They're liking reading a thriller movie!

I just finished "The Good Earth"... I guess were both catching up on oldies but goodies ;)