Friday, September 3, 2010

my bags are packed

As the last long weekend of the summer begins, I am sad to see my favourite season slipping away. However, I couldn’t be more excited because it is finally time for my much needed and highly anticpated holiday! (Is it weird that I’m little sad to be missing out on a long weekend?!) My husband and I are about to take off on our delayed honeymoon and head to the home of the World Cup winners - we are off to Spain for some sand, sun, shopping and stumbling through speaking Spanish. However, taking a trip means it’s time to pack my bags and that is one task to do with travelling that I actually dread.
I am the worst over-packer. I tend to pack whatever I think I could possibly-might once-if I’m in the right mood wear. A weekend away turns into 6 outfits, 4 pairs of shoes and way more clean underwear than I could ever go through. Even when I was growing up and would spend the summers at my dad’s house, my mom would always have to remind me that my dad did indeed own a washing machine and that she was sure he’d be happy to let me use it while I was there. I seemed to have a hard time believing her. On the other hand, I’ve never seen a boy pack more than he might need. A couple pairs of shorts, two or three t-shirts and a simple rotation between the few seem to be more than enough for a week away. But what if you’re not in the mood for the outfit you had planned on wearing? Or what if an unexpected hike in the woods or fancy dinner out is suddenly on the agenda? There are too many variables for me to worry about that I get stressed thinking that I might not have the right outfit for the daily outing…so why not pack it all and then I won’t have to worry about it while I’m away? And if there’s space in my suitcase, don't even get me started! My theory tends to be that I might as well fill it…but that’s a whole other story!

What kind of packer are you? Got any tips for an over-packer like myself?

23 comments:

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh I am just the same as you. I ALWAYS over pack much to my other half's dismay :)

Hope u have a fabulous trip and can't wait to hear all about it! xoxo

Jess said...

oooooh! Have fun!!!! Overpacking for Europe is the worst, but I can't blame you!

amber lynn said...

How exciting!! But I know what you mean, packing is always a challenge. I usually try to bring the right amount of outfits, plus 2 or 3. I have learned that it's key to plan out specific outfits ahead of time.

Hope you have a blast!!!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I'm the same way!! I don't know days in advance what I'm going to feel like wearing! I hope you have fun on your trip!

The Gallery Gal said...

I'm the same too... I need to bring so many different options just in case I don't feel up to wearing the number 1. choice for each weather scenario or occasion that may arise. I always leave packing to the night before and never get any sleep. However I have become a very organized packer. I've learned to fold and arrange everything in order to maximize the space. In the end I'll get home and have worn 1 /4 of the items I brought. But it's better to be safe than sorry. The one time I don't bring as much will be the time I need it most. Have a fantastic weekend!

Shelby said...

Have fun!!

clare @ the pretty walrus said...

I hate packing with a passion. But once I get round to it, what I usually do is try to go through the holiday day by day and plan an outfit a day. Then I go back in and see how many things could be used twice to make up a new outfit, and remove the equivalent tops/bottoms that I've "saved". Then add some layers just in case. Very often I find that I come back with just a couple of things that I didn't end up using.

Unknown said...

i am an awful packer too xxxx

Maki said...

Oh my god, Spain??? My sister would be envious because she's such a fan of Spain soccer team. I can't wait to hear all about your trip - it will be so much fun!!!

p.s. thanks so much for stopping by my blog - stay in touch!

xoxo

k said...

HAVE FUN!!!! and i have no tips for packing since i'm an over packer too :) i just want to be prepared!

Fickle Cattle said...

I'm a super bad over packer. I once went to an overnight thing, and brought enough clothes for a week. At least I had options.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Diana Mieczan said...

How a wonderful time,sweetie...I am so bad with packing...But I bet you will do great!
Hugs and kisses

Elisa said...

I love Spain! I'm the worst packer, I try to take everything with me and I always end up returning with half of my clothes unused. I always think, 'what if I need this, or what if it snows?"

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy Espana!

Traveling Distances said...

I used to be an over-packer too and I love to shop so I always end up having to lug around too much stuff. Now, I just bring what I really need and sometimes less cos I almost always buy those souvenir t-shirts.

Have an amazing time in Spain!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Totally the same way!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Darn it you already left but I have some advice for next time. Although it's tedious, make a list of every single outfit you wear or may wear on your trip. Take that list with you so you don't panic every morning. I once did that for a two week trip and life was so much easier and I ended up packing less.

paislea said...

so much fun! i want to pack up and go somewhere fun!!! good luck with your packing. i'm not one to give tips. i take everything i own. even if it's a 3 day venture. hahah..

allisterbee.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Have a great trip! I am so horrible at packing- I either try to be laid back and not bring too much (but later regret it and miss certain items) Or I bring everything I own and hardly use a thing.

iheartkiwi said...

oh my goodness! have an amazing time!

when i travel i tend to pack monochromatically... usually black. then i can mix up my outfits with great accessories like colorful scarves and jewelry.

Meghan said...

I always overpack too! This summer, I backpacked through Europe, and MAN! It was such a challenge to put everything I needed for two weeks in one bag!

I hope your trip is FANTASTIC!!! Can't wait to see pics!

Karen said...

This was so true! Although I find I'm pretty efficient with the clothes, but I have SO MANY beauty products that in my mind are NECESSARY at all times. In my suitcase, it'll be a 50/50 ratio of clothes-shoes / product-straightener. Ridic.

Have a great time!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Ohh I hope you have the most amazing trip ever! I'm sure you will though!

I'm terrible at packing. If I'm going somewhere where it could be warm, I bring all summer clothes and NO warm clothes. And then it usually ends up cold! When I went to the mountains, I packed WARM, thinking it would be cooler in the mountains. It was in the 30s every day! Haha. And I forgot my bathing suit! All summer long I lived in dresses, but I only brought ONE with me! And I completely forgot the shorts that I had left out, hahaha.

Elle Sees said...

yes! go to Wanderlust Week on my blog.