Wednesday, September 29, 2010

lost and left behind

Having stayed in several hotels since I was young, I’m not a stranger to a home away from home during my holidays. And having traveled with several different people, I’ve come to learn that everyone has their own way of living life on the road whether it’s unpacking everything as soon as you arrive or spending your stay living out of your luggage. No matter how you choose to live or relax while away, it’s probably not uncommon to forget a shirt stashed deep in a drawer or a shampoo bottle still in the shower, right? But would you forget a shark in your bathtub, your pet cockatoo or €20,000 in cash? These are only three of the top ten strangest items found left behind by the members of Great Hotels of the World. I can’t say I’ve ever had any of those items with me on a vacation but you can bet I wouldn’t be leaving them behind.
{via}
Leaving something behind is just not an option when I go away. If you’re anything like me, you can’t help but check, double check and triple check every corner, drawer, nook and cranny to make sure that every item you came with has made it’s way back into your suitcase. Even when I don’t use a drawer or open a closet during my stay, I won’t feel right about leaving if I haven’t taken a few peaks inside just to make sure my pants didn’t miraculously grow feet and walk their way into the closet. It doesn’t make sense but it’s what I do. While I may be a compulsive closet checker, I get a sense of satisfaction knowing that I haven’t left a sock sitting under the bed or a towel drying on the balcony. And even if I always get the feeling that I’m forgetting something, I can at least be satisfied knowing that I made a valiant effort to repack all my possessions…especially that pesky shark or my pair of false teeth!

Have you ever left anything in a hotel room? Do you live out of your luggage or unpack everything?

16 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

I am like you...I always check...I like to make sure that I took everything:)
Kisses,sweetie

Ps: I am hosting a great GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in :)!!!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I've never left anything in a hotel room, but I did move once and forgot to empty out my coat closet. :[ I used to live out of my suitcase while away, but my fiance goes mad when I do it, and unpacks for me.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

If I'm only staying somewhere overnight I live out of my suitcase but if it's a longer stay I like to unpack.

I haven't ever left anything of importance in a hotel room but I always have that fear and totally have to check and recheck to make sure I haven't left anything behind.

Ria said...

I'm exactly like you!Even though I live out of my luggage, I'm quite a scatterbrain when it comes to if I took everything back with me.So I always have the hotel's phone handy just in case!

Unknown said...

YES - and i hate when i do it!

PS - GIVE-AWAY going on - just wanna spread the love!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

k said...

that is SO weird. i've never really left anything THAT crazy :)

heather said...

Ugh, I have left too many things, I'm sure (sometimes on purpose... backpacking for long periods of time requires constant lightening of the load.) But the item that makes me CRINGE to think of it... I'm sure I left in a San Fran hotel (when I was living in the bay area) after a holiday party in the city... Brace yourself. It was my grandma's opal ring, which my grandpa had given me soon after she passed away. I loved that ring to pieces, but I didn't actually realize I was missing it till a few days later, and to this day, I believe it fell off the nightstand beside the bed.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Dude, I am the worst about that. I've left pillows, jewelry, phone charges...It's terrible. I double check and still manage to leave stuff behind. HA!

Brittany said...

I am SOOO like you! I am terrified of forgetting something.

I a lso hate packing

and unpacking

I simply wish I could go on vacation naked!

Then I wouldnt have to worry about ANY of it :)

I kid..

but seriously. I hate it all.

BUT LOVEEEE to travel.

Its quite the dilema!

Signe said...

Hahaha, a SHARK? Who keeps a shark in their hotel room, let alone forgets it there? :)

Oh Mandie said...

Because I'm always paranoid about leaving something behind I always just live out of my suitcase when I travel.

I still usually end up leaving something behind though, even though I check a thousand times.

Go Figure.

Jude said...

Hahaha, I had a good laugh over the stuff people left behind (a shark? there's a story there!)

Thanks so much for dropping by! I'm glad it led me to your sweet blog & I love meeting new bloggers :)

Unknown said...

Hi there! Glad you found my blog...it made my day. :) I really enjoyed this post and honestly the next time I go on a vacation or need to pack for anything, you should come with me. I'm the worst about forgetting items! I have left many items such as; my cellphone, my pillows, my wallet, my jewelry, my keys...oh basically everything. I guess I just like to go on scavenger hunts for my forgotten items. Haha. Have a wonderful day! :)

Traveling Distances said...

I always double-triple check and whoever I'm traveling with also does the same so I've never left anything behind.

When I was young, I took my kiddy pillow with me on vacation and the cleaning lady must've taken it by mistake with the bedding :(

Maureen Stevens said...

I probably have left a few things but not valuable ones, a hairbrush or so. I go out of town a lot & pretty much live out of my luggage.

Thanks so much btw for stopping by the blog! You're a sweetie!

Brandi said...

I definitely live out of my luggage, but I once lost a beautiful pair of earrings, somewhere in Germany. I was a bit heartbroken at first, but I keep hoping they found a good home.