Friday, July 16, 2010

blast from the past

I really cannot wait for Saturday night to come. I’m always excited about Saturday’s, they happen to be my favourite day of the week, but this Saturday is special because I will be kicking back in my car with a seat full of snacks at the drive-in movie theatre! Kids running around in their pajamas, couples wrapped in blankets in the back of trucks, two (or three!) movies for less than the price of one and, most importantly, dancing sweets encouraging me to visit the snack bar. The number of drive-in theatres has sharply declined over the years since their introduction in New Jersey in 1933 but being in the open air, getting cozy, watching a couple movies and not having to worry about what stranger might shush you if you have something to say is quite the treat.


With how fast technology is advancing, it’s no surprise that certain things from the past are on their way out. Having a drive-in to go to in my area makes me happy and only reminds me of other classics that I love.


Jukeboxes are fading away but I cannot help wanting to hear it play every time I see one. Flipping through the list of records, using the big, sticky buttons to select the song, hearing the record drop…all things that I wish I got to experience more often! Coin operated, fancy lights and colours and the sweet sound of oldies that float through the air. It all makes me think I should have been born a few decades earlier!


And diners! I imagine it’s more common to see a diner than a jukebox or drive-in movie theatre but there’s something about the stainless steel outsides, red-topped stools, cushy booths and waitresses in white that seem synonymous with eating out back in the day. I think I could go for a milkshake right now!

What classics do you crave?

3 comments:

Piper Larson said...

I LOVE that you're going to a drive in theater this weekend. So retro and fun! Have a great time.
XO Piper

A Flourishing Perspective said...

Completely great post! Well done. :) And yes, I agree with everything you've said.

I love how back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's little kids ran around town with their bestest friends and had a good time...just so long as they were back in time for supper!

Thanks for following, love!

xoxo-
Rachel

Tiffany Kadani said...

I love drive ins and I would love to go back. It's been about ten years- ten years too long!