Friday, July 30, 2010

breaking the silence

This morning, on my commute into work I had a change of heart. I was looking forward to writing about my exciting weekend plans and the great deal I got on my upcoming white water rafting adventure, but, after seeing this article on page four of 24 Hours, I felt very strongly that there was something else I needed to talk about. There are so many inspirational people in the world and I believe that highlighting their dreams and accomplishments pushes us all to make a difference, no matter how big or small, and inspires others to do the same.
{via}

Michael Schratter, an elementary school teacher and local social columnist, has big plans for this upcoming year. Through an amazing journey in honour of raising funds and awareness for mental illness that will see him biking around the world, Michael hopes to break the silence and create positive conversations surrounding a topic that seems too taboo to talk about. On August 1st, Michael will begin his 40 000 km Ride Don’t Hide campaign across 6 continents to bring awareness to mental health issues. Not only is the fact that he will be riding an incredible distance something worth talking about but the fact that he himself suffers, and has suffered since he was 13, from depression, anxiety and related mental health issues, makes him all the more courageous and certainly an inspiration to me.

Ride Don't Hide

It’s inspiring to see people put their ‘normal’ lives on hold to take part in a challenge that not only is a physical battle but also a mental one, as tough issues take center stage and force the world to take a closer look at it’s self. There are so many tough topics out there that often don’t get the attention they need causing so many to suffer in silence. Having the courage to talk about it is such a step in the right direction.

Whether you support Michael’s campaign or any other cause close to your heart, I know we all can make a difference in the lives of those around us, even if it’s as simple as lending an ear or being a friend.

Who inspires you?

PS...a big hello to all of you who have jumped over to my blog from Dancing Branflakes! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a good time! I couldn't be more excited that Tiffany chose to feature me today! Challenge yourself to jump high, have fun and take a photo...it will make you smile!

6 comments:

Holly Knitlightly said...

Wow that's amazing! And I too suffer from those things, so it's interesting to read this. Thanks for telling us about it!

jenn from midlife modern said...

That is so awesome. I'm a psychotherapist and one of the things my clients grapple with the most is the fact that they are stigmatized because mental illness is so misunderstood. Thanks for posting this:)

Elizabeth said...

Hello, I came over from Dancing Branflakes too.

Thanks for sharing this inspiring campaign. I think most of us have experienced or know someone who has had mental health problems at some point and yet it continues to be a stigmatised issue. Michael's campaign is truly admirable.

Diana Mieczan said...

OMG...That is such an interesting post...Thank you for this:)

Have a wonderful day,sweetie and see you soon:)

Natasha and Jesse said...

I'm visiting your blog from Dancing Branflakes! I'll definitely be back to visit. Natasha from: http://days-of-natasha.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

amazing x