Friday, July 9, 2010

you snooze, you lose?

With the weekend beginning in only a few short hours, I am looking forward to one very important thing…sleeping in! I can’t tell you how much I hate to hear my alarm go off every morning. It always comes too soon and I wake up thinking that my clock must be broken because there is no way it is already six in the morning. Although I can’t remember what time I woke up in high school or how it affected my day, I’m sure I would have wanted an extra few minutes of snoozing to keep me awake during some of my snore-worthy classes. I guess that’s why I found this CBC article so interesting. A study performed at a Rhode Island boarding school found that 30 more minutes in the morning produced happier, healthier and more alert teens. While the study may have had some limitations, I won’t argue that I would love an extra thirty in the morning to hit that snooze button.


I wonder if the same could be said for adults…are we getting up too early and depriving ourselves of sleep to try and make the most of our days in the office? Would we have more productive days if we just got a little more shut eye instead of trying to make up for it on the weekends like I am about to do? (Saturday morning sleep in, here I come!) I could go for a later start time and few minutes shaved off my day so that I can get home to my family at the same time…all while taking a little better care of myself and paying more attention to what I’m actually doing in a day. But only if my pay didn’t change, of course! Think they’ll go for that? Come in later, don’t stay longer and get paid the same amount? I don’t think I’m in a rush to bring this great idea up to my boss just yet…

2 comments:

a little black cloud in a dress said...

how perfect would the world be if businesses were open from 10-7 rather than 8-5?!

ps. your profile picture is THE BEST!

ag. said...

Ooh, that would be perfect! Sleeping in, taking my time to get ready, eating breakfast and watching the news...sounds wonderful!

ps THANKS!! :) everyone else tries to hold the tower up so i changed things up and kicked it down!